BUILDING RELATIONSHIPS REQUIRES MAKING DEPOSITS
“So encourage each other and build each other up, just as you are already doing.” (NLT) I Thessalonians 5:11
For any relationship to last over a long period of time, it must be the kind
where you offer value and meet the needs of others.
Therefore it is very important to make deposits into the relationship.
I like the way Anthony Robbins explains this concept.
“Some of the biggest challenges in relationships come from the fact that most people enter a relationship in order to get something. They’re trying to find someone who’s going to make them feel good. In reality, the only way a relationship will last is if you see your relationship as a place that you go to give, and not a place that you go to take.”
You can make deposits into any relationship by starting to do the little things that show your interest and show that you truly care. Here are just a few ideas that will help to get you started.
- Send an email just to say hi without asking for anything.
- Send a card or email on a holiday or birthday to say you are thinking about them.
- Express appreciation through a thank-you note or phone call for something done for you.
- Help others in times of need.
- Encourage others when starting new things.
- Compliment others on the things they do well.
- Be there for people during times of struggles or grief.
- Try your best to make regular deposits into your relationships from listening to lending a helping hand.